- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon extra-strong flavor, optional*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour*
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- coarse sparkling sugar, for topping
- Add a little extra zing to your muffins with a complementary flavor: cinnamon and coconut extra-strong flavors are both good choices. Start with 1/8 teaspoon, adding more to taste.
Beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and flavor (if you're using it) until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time; then stir in the milk. Mix in the flour, then the chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups; they’ll be quite full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out without crumbs clinging to it (a little chocolate is OK!).
Yield: 12 muffins.