- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) box ziti pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
Cook pasta in a large Dutch oven according to package directions. Drain and return to Dutch oven.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour sauce over pasta in Dutch oven, stirring until pasta is evenly coated.
Transfer pasta mixture to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top evenly with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings