Monday, February 25, 2008

Southern Living Chicken Cobbler Casserole


Edited to add: this was DELICIOUS!!! Up there with the SL Chicken Spinach Pasta bake;) Served over Angel Hair. It was like a Chicken Stroganoff-like dish. The topping was scrumptious-feel free to add more on top! I added my notes below...
Chicken Cobbler Casserole

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 25 min., Bake: 15 min.

6 tablespoons melted butter, divided

4 cups cubed sourdough rolls

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I used 1 1/2 tsp. dried)

2 medium-size sweet onions, sliced (I used one small)

1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms

1 cup white wine or buttermilk (I did the 1 cup of wine, but it was too wine-y even after cooking down. I added in 1/2 cup sour cream to temper it a bit-YUM)

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup drained and chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers (I used 1 can drained, diced tomatoes)

2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper to taste


Toss 4 tablespoons melted butter with next 3 ingredients; set aside. Sauté onions in remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in wine/milk and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until bubbly. Season & adjust sauce to taste. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish; top evenly with bread mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: Makes 4 servings Southern Living, JANUARY 2006
**Kristine, my saucy-lovin friend, you may want to increase the sauce ingredients a bit. It coated everything nicely, but there wasn't much extra...


1 comment:

Kristine said...

Very good! I agree about the winey-ness. I'd probably try it with the buttermilk next time. Brian LOVED it, specially the yummy bread topping. Thanks, Michele!