I used whatever frozen vegetables were on hand....peas & carrots, mixed , corn, etc. I also put pine nuts instead of the cashews, because that is what I had.
Vegetable Rice Pilaf
1 cup basmati rice
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
4 green cardamom pods
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup thawed frozen vegetables
1/4 cup cashews lightly fried
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1. rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes
2. heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the cumin seeds for 2 minutes. Add bay leaves, cardamom, and cloves, and saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Add onion and cook till softened and lightely browned
4. Drain rice and tothe pan together with the vegetables and cashews. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups water, ground cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat, till all water is absorbed. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes before serving.